Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Officially Saddled!


Earlier today I went out to work with Nine. I was prepared for, but not looking forward to, chasing him around and around for half an hour again before he would stand for the saddle. In fact, I only had to do one lap! Then Nine let me toss the blanket on him, and he almost stood for the saddle; he of course waited until I almost had it all the way up there, then bolted. But again, it just took one lap, and another in the opposite direction for good measure, before he stood stock still while I eased the saddle onto his back. Then I took it off and did it all over again, but this time he never moved! I got the latigo down and was taking the cinch down when he spooked from the jingle. But, one more try and I got the cinch down and around his belly. I had the cinch in place, the latigo ready to be tightened... Then I chickened out. Or maybe I did the brave thing, I'm not sure. I loosened the cinch, took the saddle off, and went back inside.

After a few hours of break time while I ran errands in town, I went back to see Nine. This time he let me get the blanket and the saddle on him right away. Once again I let the cinch down and let him be. He walked off when my fiance and daughter came up, but didn't spook or bolt, even though he had a clanking cinch swaying around his legs. I had "the distractions" go away for a bit, and I took the saddle off. I had to have Nine do another few laps before he accepted the saddle again, but this time I went ahead with the cinch. I did it as slowly as I could; first I just held light, steady pressure until he relaxed, then let go; as he stayed relaxed I started holding it with more pressure until it was nice and snug. I sent Nine off to walk a bit with it, fully expecting an explosion that never came. He did two laps each way, then I asked him to stop. (He came halfway to me, this time. Yay!) I tightened the cinch the rest of the way and knotted the latigo so it wouldn't work it's way loose. After a few more laps at the trot to make sure he was okay, I gave Nine some loose hay and left him to it.


In an hour or so, when I go out to feed, I will take off the saddle. Tomorrow I would like to do the same with the old saddle he has on right now, and introduce him to some rein aids and having me lean up against him on the saddle. If that goes well I want to get the riding saddle on him and let him feel the stirrups. On Thursday, when my fiance comes home early, I will hopefully be in the saddle! Wish me luck and a soft landing!

No comments: