Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Not the best day...

I tried and tried today to get an English saddle on Nine. He just backed away. So I tied him up. He stepped on my foot. I started over with the big western blanket he is used to. He was fine with that! Silly boy... I got to the point where he would at least let me stand next to him holding the saddle, and I could even touch him with the saddle, but not too high on his back. I think I may need to try a new tactic. The best I can come up with is riding Ashley, my mare and the only horse Nine is not terrified of, to get Nine accustomed to something being high up, over his back. Then maybe I can start tossing the saddle blanket onto his back from up there on Ashley. Maybe after that I can get the saddle on him.

Speaking of Ashley, that silly girl has taught Nine about cribbing! There are chew marks on both sides of the fence, and they nearly chewed all the way through on one pole! Of course, if they do manage to chew through Nine will not be loose. He will, however, be in a
pen with Ashley, who is the most playful 8 year old you'll ever meet, and half of her pen is made up of barbed wire. I do not want Ashley chasing Nine into the wire, that would be awful.
So I used all the hot sauce I could find to coat the poles where they have been chewing. Hopefully that will discourage them.

In brighter news, me and Nine managed to make the front page of the Daily Sun this morning! Here is a link for everyone, enjoy!

http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2008/07/15/news/20080715_front_177436.txt

No comments: