Thursday, July 17, 2008

A much better day

So today I am trying something new with my blog. Rather than wait for the end of the day so I can get all of what I want to say in, I am just going to post the morning news now, then edit later to include the afternoon session. This way everything will still be fresh in my mind.

This morning, feeling grumpy, lazy, and discouraged, I dragged myself out to the corral with one thing in mind: just brush Nine. It will be pleasant for us both, and we really need to have something pleasant to think about regarding one another. I took two brushes, the soft body brush, and the toothed mane and tail brush. I didn't bother with the halter, because I figured it wouldn't do any good anyway, the way he jerks away from me. So brush brush brush, he did fine. He walked away from me a couple times when I tried to do his tail, but it got done with no real complications. I was going to try to walk behind him, but I think Nine sensed I was nervous, or heard something in my voice, because he tensed up and moved away. I still haven't got the nerve to walk behind that horse, even though I have been well within kicking range and he never even lifted a foot. We will have to get over that, though, or I'll never be able to pick up his hind feet.

After a good brushing we both felt considerably better about each other, so I decided to try a new idea on leading. I got out the long lead rope, which is basically a long rope, about 20' long, that I tied a large metal ring to, and clipped a double sided clip to the ring. Today I took off the clip (which I just remembered is still handing from the chin of Ashley's halter where I left it...) and ran a loop through the ring, so as to have two loops connected at the ring. Thus one loop went behind the ears and over Nine's poll, and the other loop went over Nine's nose. This way, when I ask him to move forward, the rope will tighten all over Nine's head and face. But as soon as he steps forward, the pressure is immediately released all over his head and face. It worked like a charm! I was impressed. He still isn't leading as well as either of my other two horses, but it was definitely a major improvement! Within minutes he was even following me with slack in the rope for a few steps. Much, much better than yesterday, I assure you.

Encouraged by my success and the relaxed expression of Nine, I decided to give us something to do. So I set up two poles. One pole was cut in half lengthwise, so it has a flat side that I propped on the bottom rail of the round pen, making a sort of jump, like half a cross jump. The other pole is round but short, as it is the remains of an old pole that was most likely broken from the round pen some time ago. I put that pole on the ground directly across the round pen from the jump. Then there is a large, flattened box in the round pen, with two large rocks holding it down, that has been there for a few days. Nine has been having no problems at all, not even stepping on the rocks even when he trots directly over one. Even Hammar, my Mustang, can't do that. Hammar is the least sure-footed Mustang I have ever seen, sometimes. But he does fine. Back to Nine now: I lead Nine over all the obstacles, then lunged him over them. He finally got the idea of hopping the raised pole, but decided that was too much work. He ended up just picking his feet up extra high! Clever boy. Maybe jumping is out of the question for him, he is too lazy. Shame, he has the build for it...

In any case, he was doing good both directions, though going to the right he wanted to cut across to avoid the half-jump. He also wanted to duck into the shelter area, as I had left the gate open as an additional challenge. It took a couple cases of me running in after him yelling and swinging the lunge whip, but he finally decided he didn't want to go in there without my permission. But he was doing great. So I had him stop, face me, then walk in towards me so I could take off the rope. He was breathing a bit fast, so I decided I should walk him out before I just leave. The rope was already off, so I just pointed and asked him to continue around the pen, without the rope. I was able to keep him at a walk, and he wasn't even looking at the shelter area by then. He was still wanting to turn to the outside when going from left circles to right circles (he must like his right turns...) but after a few tries and shouts, he figured it out. I can stand right in the middle of the round pen and just point to my left, and he immediately stops and changes direction to go to the left. But from going left to changing to the right, I need to point to my right, walk in front of him, make sure I am far enough back, and really make it clear that I want him to go to the inside. He has troubles with this; I usually end up all the way against the fence, then I end up coming towards him to get him to make that inside turn.

I don't know why this is... it might be a physical problem. Maybe it hurts him to make sharp left turns. But I doubt this, as he is constantly turning his head to the left to prevent me from being on the left side of his head. Perhaps it is a vision problem? He has hit himself on something on the area above his left eye twice since getting here. He still has a scar from the second cut; that one I don't know how he got. His eye itself looks fine, I looked at it today. Either way, he is getting better about both problems: turning to the inside as well as letting me stand on his left side without his head being in the way.

This afternoon I am planning to take Nine out of the round pen for the first time. My boyfriend will be leading Ashley, the mare, while I lead Nine. I would like to use the long lead rope as a halter again, but I'm afraid that should he escape, he might get tangled in something, and that rope can constrict him. So instead I think Nine will wear the usual rope halter, while Ashley wears the ill-fitting but pretty red nylon halter. Ashley leads well, and even should she get loose I am confident she will not panic or get tangled. We will close the front gate, and Ashley has been turned out on the property many times. I think Nine will stick with Ashley. It will be something like teaching a foal to lead by following his dam. I hope. Wish me luck; I will post more on how it goes this evening.

2 comments:

Karen C. said...

Christina, Mr. Nine has that funky right sided left sided thing that Tripp had - wait, he still has it, just not as bad. He would move that head around to keep me from going to his left side, but he was great on the right! Lunge to the right no problem, and turned into me and going to the left no problem. Lunge to the left, and he just stands there....I give him time, then he will peek at me. He just doesn't like that way.

Anyways, back you to and Mr. Nine, I am going to put your blog on my blog site. :-) It sounds like you all are doing great....I am going to read the most updated one now.

Keep up the good work!

Karen C. in Mid-MO
My blog is:
http://mustangtripp.blogspot.com/

Christina de Pinet said...

Thanks Karen! Nine is also getting over his sidedness, but it taking a long time. I'll put your blog link on mine too, how's that!