Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lunging and such

Well, I was feeling guilty about Nine's lack of training. So I went out the other day and lunged him around a bit. He isn't crazy about circles, but he will actually do it for me now. I can't seem to get him to canter on the circle, though; when I ask him to canter he takes off in a tangent to the circle, and either runs strait for the corral - if that's the direction he is headed - or stop and look at me as if to say "Hey, what happened? Why did you jerk on my face???"

Then, yesterday, my mom came up and I wanted to show her how Nine was doing, but he flat refused to behave on the lunge line. He made it very clear that he was not enjoying trotting in circles anymore. So, Mom took him for a walk. Maybe next weekend I may have another chance to work with him.

1 comment:

Karen C. said...

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I don't know that I can canter Tripp on the lunge line. When we are out in the open, his circles are a little oval, or like you say, a straight line somewhere else. I will say he does well with giving to the pressure, but it could still be better. Something else for us to work on. Thank you for the idea.

I think it is neat your Mom took Nine for a walk. I think our horses enjoy walks.

Hugs to you all!

Karen and Tripp