Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A few minutes here and there

With the busy Labor Day weekend, and then school, I haven't had a ton of time with Nine. Saturday we went on a trail ride; I wanted to bring Nine, but we decided against it. Turns out that was for the best, as we had our hands full with our two tame horses! It would have been a mess with a third horse with us. Anyways, we rode at least 20 miles, and I have the sunburns to prove it!

Sunday we planned to go to the local county fair, but it was really rainy, so we just picked up some groceries while we were in town and called it a day. Monday my mom came up, but it was windy and threatening to start raining again. We did a tiny bit of work. I have been working with Nine for a minute or so before I feed him, so I am now able to stand on a mounting block next to him on either side, and rub him all over. I can also lean against him and put quite a bit of weight on his back. So, I showed my mom all of this, even though it took a little extra bit of time because I was suddenly wearing a scary noisy vest!

Today after classes me and Fiance saddled Nine up and I put my weight in the saddle, again belly down. My daughter woke up (she fell asleep on the way home, so we just parked the car next to the round pen and let her nap), so I had to cut that session short. But it was feed time anyways, so it all worked out. Nine has also been doing okay with his feet. I can pretty much pick up his rear left foot, though he is still a bit "kicky" with his right hind. We are working on it, though.

2 comments:

Karen C. said...

Hi Christina, I admire you for sticking with Nine! You sure have had your hands full with school and family, but you don't give up.

I talked to one gal last year who got on her horse only a few days before the competition. The horse was nervous, but I thought they did well.

We have to remember, we have real lives to deal with in addition to the training. I think it shows people like us that it doesn't have to go quickly....and it is still okay. :-) Maybe it will help some people realize they really can do this!

See you soon!
Karen and Tripp

Christina de Pinet said...

You are so supportive, Karen! Thank you for all you kind comments. Speaking of supportive, how is your tail bone area feeling?