Saturday, August 23, 2008

I'm on Top of the World! (kind of)

Well, Mom and Mom in Law helped me with Nine today. Me and Mom got Nine saddled in the riding saddle with no problems at all, even with the breast collar on and stirrups down! The details are all fuzzy now, but we did some work with Nine getting him used to the stirrups, then decided to try and get on him.

First I tried to just get a foot in the stirrup and hop up, but between nerves and muscles getting sore, I wimped out. This was as far as we got with that technique:
What a handsome boy! So we tried again with the mounting block. Mom stood on the mounting block (feeder turned upside down) while I led Nine past, then Mom held Nine while I scooted the mounting block up to him. He was doing well with that, so I stood on the block until he was okay with that, then, well, I worked up the nerve to get on:

And then I was on! Note the helmet: it earned it's keep today, because not long after that picture was taken, we tried to lead Nine off with me on his back. He didn't buck, but the running was just as effective. I landed on my hands and knees, with my head heading right into a bottom pole. Luckily, the helmet was there, so the extent of damage was limited to a skinned knee and a new hole in my jeans. We gave Nine a break while my knees stopped shaking, then tried again (a few times, actually, but here's the result):

So, we had a productive day! Nine was introduced to a new saddle, stirrups, a mounting block, and someone putting their weight on his back! He did just fine, so me and Mom in Law took Nine and Ashley (Nine's mare) for a walk (Nine's first time off the property and out the gate) for a bit of grazing. Tomorrow we're up early to start all over...

Thanks to Mom for the help (even if it was just holding the horse - it helps a lot!) and to Mom in Law for the baby sitting and picture taking.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job! You go girl!

Christina de Pinet said...

Thanks Joan! I am so sore today! But I'd like to get on Nine again anyways :P

Judy MacLeod said...

Let's try this again. The screen went wonky and lost my comment...
Ok.. LOL I know exactly what you meant saying running is as good as bucking. Sounds like me and Bob all over again during our first "on top" experiences. Ditto on those darn knees shaking and not cooperating too. Someday we WILL look back on this adventure and have a good laugh. Kudos to you Christina for plugging along and not giving up during the difficult times!

Christina de Pinet said...

Thanks Judy! It's so nice to hear conformation that Nine will someday be a nice, broke horse who will let anyone hop on :D