Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back in the Saddle


Well, after a week and a half of not even touching the saddle, we've got it on Nine again. My mom helped me by holding Nine and handing the cinch under the horse so I can grab it without Nine freaking out. It worked! He only dumped the saddle once this time. He did go off bucking twice, but by then I had the cinch tight enough that it didn't come off completely. He got it underneath him again, but let me take it off and try again. Best of all, now he lets me reach under and grab the cinch without having it handed to me every time. We will see if that lesson lasts.

After our break, me and Mom went out and put a breast collar on Nine. He did good, even with me trying to punch extra holes in the leather right under his nose. We decided not to put the riding saddle on him because there is a storm rolling in, and with the wind we don't need to be trying to get on him! I have some pictures...




After a few hours of that, I was getting a bit fed up, so my mom suggested I "take a chill pill", that is to say, ride Hammar!


Thanks for all your help Mom, I feel better about it all now!

4 comments:

Karen C. said...

Hey there, you be careful getting up on him! :-)
I am nursing a very bruised tailbone right now....just had to canter Tripp bareback yesterday and he bucked. I stayed on and his back bone hit my tail bone. OUCH! I should have bailed! Who knew it would have hurt less to fall off?

So don't go getting hurt! We need to meet in Texas! :-)

Karen and Tripp

Christina de Pinet said...

I'll try not to get hurt Karen! Hopefully I will get on Nine tomorrow, or at least soon! And yes, we definitely need to meet up in Texas! I'll be in the talent show playing guitar, so keep an eye out for me!

Unknown said...

Christina,

Be careful!! He's not ready, It would be a miracle if you got on his back and he did not eject you off.

Try other steps first, like stand on a bucket beside him or sit on the round pen fence above him and touch his back or put your foot on his back, see if he stands still, get a mounting block stand on it and lay across his back, toss ropes around his whole body, does he move? I don't know your scarin me saying your gonna get on. This is a good rule to go by. Can you control all four of his feet when your on the ground? If you can't, you will not be able to on his back either. There I said it, sorry for being nosie, you certainly can do what you want, you may have already done all of those things I meantioned, I don't know, but just be careful! I want to be able to meet you in Texas. Your doing great, you have tamed a Mustang!

Christina de Pinet said...

Joan, you are not being nosey! I am an inexperienced horse trainer and I can use all the help I can get!

Now, I can control all four feet from the ground and toss a rope all over, but I have to admit that I cannot stand on a mounting block (in our case his feeder turned upside down) right next to him. Yesterday we worked with him a bit with that right before feed time, and I got to where he would walk past me standing up high while Fiance lunges Nine, and I can get Nine to walk up to me on the block. Next, of course, is being next to him.

Nine does well with us moving the saddle around, and I can lay my arms across his back, but he definitely needs work, you're right about that! Thanks for giving me some ideas to get him ready ;)