Friday, July 3, 2009

Rode Again

I'm sorry, no pictures today... Fiance was sleeping because he has to work tonight, so we didn't have a photographer. But my dad took Elayne while me and the MiL worked with Nine. This time I got on without anyone holding Nine, and I rode him around the round pen for a while and got him used to the crop - he's really quite lazy! Then we opened the gate and followed Ashley off the property! Nine tried to eat once we got near the grass, and he was really quite diligent about it too, so I had to hand the lead rope to MiL so we could pull Nine off the grass. He wasn't pulling hard on the bit, but he wouldn't raise his head or move his feet either. My dad rode by three times on his Harley (yes, he had my 2 year old daughter on the motorcycle - they stay very slow and never go near pavement, and Elayne loves it) and Nine just looked at the bike as if he was wondering how his baby got up there... We went back onto the property and I took full control of Nine again. We stepped over the few obstacles I have around the place, mostly jumps that have fallen down and two halves of a barrel that was cut "hotdog style" with the sides laid end to end. Nine took it all in stride and even trotted a little bit for me. I was able to turn him away from his mare, and he spotted the chickens too. He was not at all concerned about the chickens; he was more interested in the hay they were pecking at!

Then we met back up with Ashley and MiL to try to trot again before I put Nine away. Well, MiL was using the end of her lead rope as a whip for Lazy Ash, and the end of it got pretty close to Nine's nose and brought him up short. Then I applied the crop, and he gave one jump, stopped, bucked and took off at actually a very nice high-headed canter, but strait for the garden fence! I was pulling on the right rein like I usually do when Hammar pulls crazy moves on me. But Nine responds better so far to the left rein. But Nine finally saw the garden and turned right - towards the corrals. Then I released the rein pressure as he slowed to a walk. I have a small scrape on my arm and I had a bunch of juniper tree in my mouth, but I was otherwise unharmed and I still had my seat. Then I tried to walk Nine until my heat slowed, but he kept scraping me in the trees and "spooking" when the branches touch his flanks! It was like was trying to find an excuse to "play" some more! So we went back into the round pen and walked around twice each direction, stopped, backed up two steps (his record so far) and walked forward half the radius of the pen, then stopped again. He was perfect as I dismounted and lead him to the inner tube to tie and unsaddle him. As I walked away with the saddle Nine gave me an almost pleading look as if to say, "please don't go! I'll be good, I promise!" But there is a storm brewing and I was starving to death so away I went.

Soon the baby sitter will be able to watch Elayne again (she's been away with her family) and I can get more rides on Nine. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Kirstin's Mustang Project 2011 said...

Christina,
So glad to hear that you are back on Nine. Sounds like things are going great. I like the speed at which you are taking this. Slow & steady and Nine is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.
Priscilla

Christina de Pinet said...

Thanks Priscilla! Yep, Nine does best when he's not pushed, and so do I. I think Nine could handle a faster pace but I wouldn't be comfortable with it. But we don't have any deadlines anymore, so we can take it as slow as we need to! It sounds like Kirsten is doing a fantastic job with Tuff! I can't think of anything she might be missing...

Hoof'n It said...

Hello there! I think it is great that Grandpa has a Harley and takes his little grand daughter riding up and down the road! Just wait until she starts school and Gramps takes her to school, or picks her up! She will be the most popular girl in school! OH! I already have her pictured in her little black leather vest and kid helmet! :-)

I just scoped the EMM site and for some reason have not figured out how to get on the blog that shows up, so I have to go to the real blog. You mentioned Nine being very food motivated and your MiL mentioned riding him in the halter. My question is, if he goes good in a halter or something bitless, why put a bit in his mouth? Some people say for leverage, but horses are so strong that if they want to take off, they will with or without a bit. I am just curious.

It is great to see you up on Nine and you guys working it out. I echo what Priscilla said - I like the speed you are taking this. You both are doing great!

Until later...Karen and Tripp

Hoof'n It said...

Hey! Where did my picture go?

Karen and Tripp, who probably knows where my picture is! Ha!

Christina de Pinet said...

Hey Karen,

Well, I've been using a double jointed snaffle because I want him comfortable with bits for when I decide to show him. I also was using the snaffle so whoever adopted him would have a horse who goes fairly well with a bit. That was obviously before I ended up adopting him myself! He's had his wolf teeth removed and everything. But next ride I will try a halter, to see if he fights less when I ask him to lift his head up. I might even try to just let him eat but have whoever is riding Ashley with us to get Ashley to trot away so Nine feels "rushed" to get his head up and move out on his own...